Elfin Immigration INC.

Post Graduation Work Permit

Post Graduation Work Permit

Post Graduation Work Permit

PGWPs (post-graduation work permits) are open work permits granted to overseas students who have completed a programme of study in Canada. PGWPs allow the bearer to work for any employer in Canada for as many hours as they choose.  The post-work permit is valid for a maximum of three years.It implies that if your post-graduate degree is two years long, you will be granted a three-year PGWP visa. A employment permit for post-graduation cannot be valid for longer than the student’s academic programme.  A minimum of eight months is required for the course to be completed

The PGWP permits overseas students to acquire Canadian work experience after graduating from a participating post-secondary college or university. In the long term, PGWP job experience helps overseas graduates apply for PR (permanent residency) in Canada through the Express Entry programme.

Eligibility criteria for a Post-Graduation Work Permit

  • Have been enrolled in a full-time study programme in Canada for at least eight months.
  • Have documentation from your institution (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.) confirming that you finished and passed all programme requirements.
  • When applying for the PGWP, you must have a valid student visa.

Important Notes

  • You are not eligible for the PGWP programme if the official length of your programme of study is less than eight months.
  • If your course is less than two years but longer than eight months, you will be granted a work visa for the duration of your course.
  • If you've been in the country for two years or longer, you'll be awarded a three-year work visa.